Saturday, September 16, 2006

Badlands Ranch RV Resort Interior SD - 2,955 Miles

From the description of Badlands Rand RV Resort we thought we might be checking into our best RV resort yet.

We pulled into Badlands Resort after a 2 mile ride down a washboard dirt road and immediately were met by a mob of flies. We opened the door and pretty soon we had 4-5 of them inside with us. The resort offers trail rides and has horses hence the flies. The resort didn't charge for the flies but charged for everything else. We picked a place next to the road because it was time for Karen's soap and we needed to get set up in a hurry. For the second time in a row we put out the antenna and hit the satellite almost immediately without much adjustment at all.

Being next to the road wasn't too bad because the wind was blowing away from us and there weren't that many cars coming by.

Seven wanted to do some sewing so we left Badlands just before checkout time. I did some work on the inverter setup and then went out to bird watch with my new Sibley's and binoculars. There were 50 small birds in the trees and grass near our RV. When I first looked at them I thought there were 3 different species. I took one of at time and checked it against Sibley's. Sibleys is so comprehensive that it includes juvenile, 1st year, adult, and breeding plumage for each bird in most cases. As it turns out there were juveniles, 1st year and adult birds in the group, all with different plumage. I am getting educated.

While sitting there watching the birds, a flock of turkeys walked with 100 yards of me. I didn't check Sibley's until after they moved on down the hill out of my sight. To my surprise there are two different types of turkeys in Sibleys. I didn't even bother to look at the birds through the binocs so I didn't know which kind of turkeys they were. Bummer.

Our trip to Snake Creek State Recreation Area took us down SD State Road 44. When there wasn't any construction going on it was a smooth ride down what was a deserted road.

No comments: