Thursday, October 12, 2006

Conway, AR - 4,075 Miles


50 miles isn't far to go in one day but we were ready for a good stop with hookups. The name Toad Suck Park jumped out at me from the map and because it was around 35 miles from Little Rock we said 'why not'. We pulled off the interstate and immediately came across a Honda dealership. The toad, our CRV, needed tire repairs and without a lugnut lock key we couldn't remove the tires. I searched Springfield without success and knew I would have to try some places in Little Rock for one. On a whim, we pulled into the Honda place and lo and behold the parts guy pulled out a case with 10-12 of them in it. We went out to the CRV and found which one fit our CRV. He sold it to me for $18 and said he would order another to replace the one he sold me out of his case. So now we could take care of any tire problems we might have in the future. Yay. I love Honda.

Walking out of the Honda place I ran into a salesperson (or did he run into me?). We chatted for some time. His name was Dave Laughlin so I asked him if he was related to Don of Laughlin, NV fame. He said no but said that he did live in Las Vegas for some time. He said it was the only time in his life he didn't have to spell his last name for people. He also told me that Toad Suck Park was a favorite of his and told me where it was.

Toad Suck Park is due west of Conway on AR State Road 60. It is on the Arkansas River and is probably the most beautiful park we have stayed in. It is a Corps of Engineer park. Our Golden Age pass was good and we only paid $10 a night. We are going to stay 2 nights. We are right on the water and under a bunch of tall oak trees. The oak trees pelt the RV with acorns but it is a pleasant sound when a nut hits then rolls off. The trees are so dense we had problems getting the satellite dish up and running so Seven could see her soap.

The Arkansas River is the winter home of lots of eagles. I may have seen one today but didn't have the binocs handy to check it out. Definitely a large bird.

No comments: