Sunday, July 16, 2006

Good Times Bad Times Gimme Some of Dat


Some days of campground hosting are funny. Some are sad. And some are just interesting. Today was all three.

We close the gate to the campground at 8:30 pm but do not lock it. We have a tire ripper sign on the exit. We have tire rippers but they haven't been installed so our 'gate' is largely a joke.

Tonight a van rolled up to the closed gate, stopped, opened the gate, then drove through it. I saw all that happen from our RV which faces the gate and jumped up to tell them to close the gate. Seven was outside and flagged the car down. I was still uncharacteristically yelling at them as Seven was talking to them. The person driving was one of wonderfull leaders of a huge group of young Mormon women who were spending most of the week at Redman. After Seven explained that I had been sick for the past couple of days and was not myself the lady kindly said "you really have your hands full there'.

Two testosterone-filled male humanoids were unloading their two SUVs at their site and took offense that a couple of cars were parked in 'their' parking spot next to their camp site and called us, the friendly hosts, to have the cars moved. The parking spot could easily hold 5 or 6 cars. The offending cars belonged to a couple of the Mormon ladies helping with some of the evening events for a group of young women and were parking there because I told them they could. The camp site the humanoids chose is one of the last ones we usually sell so I did not think that there would be a problem since we weren't even close to full. I took off in the Gator to check it out. I got there and the guy, from New York I presume, started in on how he paid for a site and didn't want others parking there.

I agreed with him and told him that I thought that the ladies who owned the cars would be leaving shortly so it shouldn't be a problem for them. He told me he wanted them moved NOW. I told him that I would probably have to go to the other side of the campground and then run the ladies down because I had no idea who owned the cars. He started in on how I should have the license number and name of every person who came into the camp ground blah blah. So I reluctantly got out and went over to the next site and asked the ladies if they knew who owned the cars. One lady, a very attractive young mom, said one was hers and, with an annoyed look, she would go move it. I asked her if she wanted me to go with her. She quietly said yes. She walked up to the humanoids, pulled on her hair a bit, smiled sweetly, and told them she was there to move the cars. After some stammering and feet shuffling the humanoids decided that the cars could stay. The young mom turned, smiled at me, I mouthed a silent 'thanks', and she happily walked backed to her camp site. I didn't say a word to the humanoids.

One of the young Mormon women knocked on our door late this afternoon and told me that she and some friends found a fawn trapped in the mud near a small creek. She was really concerned that the fawn had been abandoned by its mom. Seven followed her to find the fawn. Seven wound up tripping twice, falling in the creek, and tearing her pants along the way. Meanwhile I called our boss and the sheriff. We had 3 sheriff cars respond and our boss was here in 5 minutes. They pulled the fawn out of the mud, dried it, and put it in the sunshine to warm up. The policy here with wild animals is to let nature take its course. Hopefully the fawn's mother will find before the coyotes do.

No comments: